This position will have assignments designed to expand the areas of transmission planning expertise, enhance professional skills and develop a general knowledge of other areas within the utilities. Work generally requires a broad range of knowledge and skills within the area of transmission planning, with development of expertise in specific areas of work assignments.
SALARY RANGE: Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
- Senior Level: $78,200 - $117,300
- Lead Level: $84,050 - $126,100
- Principal Level: $95,350 - $157,300
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Supervisor of Transmission Planning
LOCATION: Our Corporate Headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota.
- You’ll find this is the ideal community to live, work and do business in. With hiking trails, the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park in your backyard, there are endless opportunities to enjoy nature. To learn more about our locations, please visit the locations page on our career website.
- A comprehensive relocation package is offered for this position! Details about this package will be shared during the interview and offer process.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Under limited supervision, provide advanced transmission planning support to Black Hills Energy’s electric utilities in support of various business initiatives.
- Provide initial engineering plans for new projects. Support the Project Origination process. Provide engineering support for internal BHE customer representatives. May provide work direction to others. Actively contribute to department/project work. Demonstrate progressive project management skills to support and/or lead projects as assigned.
- Perform all aspects of computer-based load flow (steady state and dynamics) and short circuit studies required to evaluate the electric transmission system. Evaluate system performance and recommend engineering solutions to address system risks, reliability and load growth over a one, five and ten-year planning horizon. Perform transfer capability analysis on established transfer paths. Perform technical writing in support of study efforts.
- Participate in discussions with customers as requested by BHE customer representatives. Provide transmission planning recommendations and support to assist in the creation of the capital project portfolio. Lead and review studies associated with the interconnection of new load, generation or transmission facilities. Verify the validity of transmission, generation and load data used for power flow software models
- Support full compliance with all applicable state, local, FERC, NERC and WECC Reliability Standard requirements as a technical subject matter expert. Support internal legal and regulatory groups as a subject matter expert for PUC hearings, comment sessions, tariff creations or edits or related regulatory filings. Provide technical testimony for regulatory and legal inquiries as assigned.
- Represent BHE’s interests in national, regional and local committees, task forces and working groups. Act as BHE subject matter expert during local and/or regional transmission planning stakeholder meetings.
- Develop solutions and implement actions. Adapt and contribute to department plans and priorities to address business and operational challenges.
- Lead the implementation of process improvements. Participate on continuous improvement teams and lead projects as assigned. Provide innovative work ideas.
- Apply advanced project management skills to lead projects as assigned with minimal supervision.
- Prioritize workflow, establish schedule and monitor accomplishments. Consider multi-functional effect of priorities
- Participate in formal training programs for the improvement of job knowledge and technical skills when made available. Attend industry training to maintain proficiency in areas of responsibility in order to develop sound recommendations
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or computer science required.
- Senior Level: Minimum of four (4) years of relevant engineering experience required.
- Lead Level: Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant engineering experience required.
- Principal Level: Minimum of twelve (12) years of relevant engineering experience required.
- Experience with software applications typically used in transmission planning including PSS/E, Power World, PSLF and Aspen required.
- Electric utility or electrical consultant experience required.
- Advanced working knowledge of utility electrical system design philosophy and equipment operation. Proficiency in reading electrical one-lines, control drawings and schematics.
- Understanding of electrical circuits, drawings and engineering analysis. Solid understanding of applicable technical and regulatory compliance standards.
- Ability to work independently as well as in cross-functional teams. Diligent with a focus on documentation and organization.
- Self-motivated with ability to drive projects to completion with minimal direction.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively connect with staff at all levels within the organization. Be able to convey technical information to non-technical personnel.
- Ability to learn and maintain proficiency with use, programming, and automation of new systems and software as technology evolves.
- Strong project management skills, ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks in a timely manner with minimal direction and accurately record time spent on projects.
- Ability to apply basic advanced concepts, practices and procedures of transmission planning.
- Ability to work concurrently on multiple projects independently or as part of a team.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical descriptions are representative of the activities an employee in an office job performs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental description: Understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee continuously accesses, inputs, and retrieves electronic information and communicates regarding the information. Employee frequently moves about the office space. Employee may occasionally push, pull and reach. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if moving about is only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level and occasionally outdoors in sometimes inclement weather. Worker may be subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working in places of height or close quarters. Willing to travel occasionally (less than 10 days per year) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Must have proper licensing to operate a motor vehicle.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.
Wage: 78200 to 117300