Manage community affairs for Black Hills Energy in South Dakota in partnership with your community affairs colleagues, to achieve successful results in meeting its goals and objectives. Represent Black Hills Energy South Dakota and electric operations service area to external stakeholders to build and maintain strong/collaborative relationships with communities and customers through strategic communication actions and messages.
SALARY RANGE: $76,300 - $114,450 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Regional Manager, Community Affairs
LOCATION: Rapid City, South Dakota
- You’ll find this is the ideal community to live, work and do business in. With hiking trails, the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park in your backyard, there are endless opportunities to enjoy nature. To learn more about our locations, please visit the locations page on our career website.
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Community & Stakeholder Relations: Develop and enhance effective communications channels and relationships with community, business, local and state governing agencies, civic and other leaders. This will assist the organization in positioning the company for opportunities, establish and enhance key community relationships and address key community issues effectively. This include, but not limited to:
- Black Hills Energy Citizen Advisory Council
- Annual public official meetings (city, school district and county level)
- Engagement in Black Hills area Chambers of Commerce
- Ellsworth Air Force Base
- Community and state organizations that you may volunteer to serve as a representative of Black Hills Energy
- South Dakota Electric Operations: Support the South Dakota and electric operations service area strategic plan which include, but not limited to:
- State growth strategy
- Safety initiatives
- Outage communication management
- Capital and integrity investment projects
- Products and customer experience initiatives
- Local government, state government and SDPUC regulatory strategies and initiatives
- Communications Planning: A communication plan provides the platform to achieve desired success for South Dakota and electric operations service area. By proactively planning for strategic communications per state, business unit and/or project/initiative, we can work to enhance our brand in given any situation.
- Messaging: Develop, coordinate and execute messaging that consistently enhances our brand and increases the knowledge base of our internal ambassadors and South Dakota electric operations leadership team and stakeholders.
- Media Relations: Develop, coordinate and execute a proactive media relations strategy; build relationships with local media. This includes:
- Produce media releases for special projects and outage communications.
- Respond and be prepared to media inquiries appropriately.
- Represent BHE as the spokesperson when appropriate.
- Identify and assign a Black Hills Energy spokesperson and representatives during media interviews when appropriate.
- Social Media Management: Act as a strategist in collaboration with the Digital Media team to assist with social media content development.
- Sponsorships/Donations/Volunteerism: As a representative of Black Hills in the community, you will be expected to lead and facilitate the state’s sponsorship, donation and volunteerism initiatives with a local steering team available to support and implement.
- Budget management: Produce, manage and report (monthly) community affairs South Dakota electric operations community affairs’ budget.
- Community Impact Initiatives: Support and coordinate Black Hills Energy (South Dakota) community impact initiatives, including, but not limited to: Black Hills Cares energy assistance programs, Energy-Saving Trees, annual Black Hills United Way campaign, etc.
- Economic Development: Produce, manage and engage in community economic development initiatives which supports South Dakota growth strategies. This include the management and engagement of local economic development organizations, South Dakota electric operations economic development budget and Black Hills Energy economic development programs and initiatives.
- Represent Community Affairs and support communications and community relations as it relates to: Community Events, Internal Communications, Advertising, Sponsorships/Donations and any other event in which Community Affairs plays an important role.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the utility industry or a related field, i.e. communications, public administration, business administration and/or marketing is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant fields, including Communication, Communication Studies, Business Administration, Marketing, Public Administration and Journalism or a combination of education and experience is required.
- Knowledge of communications, operations, and regulatory and legislative processes is preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office – Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Effective project management skills, including planning & organization.
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal; interpersonal skills; team-work skills; and presentation skills.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL DESCRIPTIONS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical descriptions are representative of the activities an employee in an office job performs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental descriptions: Understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee continuously accesses, inputs, and retrieves electronic information and communicates regarding the information. Employee frequently moves about the office space. Employee may occasionally: reach, push/pull, ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. The employee may occasionally (less than 33%) be required to: kneel, crouch and reach. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Light work. The employee is continuously moving about the job site or office space. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of reaching and moving controls exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
Work environment: Routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. Willing to travel up to 50% (e.g. 2 weeks or 10 days/month) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Travel will be necessary to conduct the duties of this job and the employee must have proper licensing to operate a motor vehicle.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program (based on percentage of eligible earnings), 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Corporation does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Black Hills Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.
Wage: 76300 to 114450