Responsible for contributing to Company’s fulfillment of financial goals by providing leadership and management of major, complex projects for the natural gas utility organization. Utilize project management principles and requirements as defined by the Natural Gas Utilities (NGU) Project Delivery Organization (PDO) to ensure projects are completed on time and within their approved baselines. Coordinate activities such as scope definition, permitting, right of way and easement acquisition, engineering/design, project budgeting and forecasting, procurement/contracting, communications, construction, testing, commissioning, and project closeout.
SALARY RANGE: $85,450 - $140,900 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Major Project Delivery Senior Manager or Director, Major Project Delivery
LOCATION: Kearney, Nebraska
- To learn more about our locations, please visit the locations page on our career website.
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manage major natural gas capital construction projects from Initiation to Close. This includes
- Crafting results to agreed scope, objectives and requirements,
- Developing realistic project estimates and project baseline including contingency based on identified project risks and cost uncertainties,
- Executing work to an approved scope, cost and schedule baseline,
- Maintaining compliance with applicable laws, regulations and standards,
- Demonstrating strong environmental stewardship and safety leadership, and
- Delivering value as defined by the project business case.
- Identify and secure resources needed for successful project implementation
- Provide leadership and direction for medium to large sized project teams including internal and external resources
- Implement effective change control to minimize unapproved changes to scope.
- Facilitate monthly project team reviews of scope, cost, schedule, risk and issues.
- Produce project reports and communications in accordance with PDO requirements, including development and maintenance of a Project Management Plan (PMP) and following the NGU Project Lifecycle process.
- Assume ultimate responsibility for project safety and regulatory compliance.
- Perform safety analyses, readiness reviews, pre-job briefs and other measures to minimize safety risks to personnel involved in project implementation.
- Maintain options to accelerate and decelerate capital spend as business needs dictate.
- Oversee field observation opportunities and learning for Company personnel as appropriate.
- Participate in the planning and budget processes for the NGU, proactively contributing to the establishment of strategic goals for the company.
- Work closely with the Engineering and Operations leadership team during the project scoping process to identify improvements to ongoing work activities impacted by the project. Specific attention should be focused on operational efficiencies, heightened safety awareness and performance, reduction of costs, enhanced regulatory relations and delivery of excellent customer service.
- Provide leadership and professional growth opportunities for individuals assigned to project teams.
- Demonstrate commitment to continuous improvement by seeking and implementing enhancements to project delivery and sharing lessons learned and standard methodologies with other project delivery personnel.
- Create and maintain a workplace environment that promotes diversity, safety, fair and equal treatment of employees, open communications and the highest standards of ethical behavior.
- Participate in industry conferences, industry associations, workshops, and forums to keep abreast of issues relating to transmission and distribution project implementation.
- Represent BHC in appropriate regional and industry forums related to driven transmission implementation.
- Maintain and improve the BHC safety culture.
- Maintain a strong and open relationship with the Major Project Delivery Senior Manager and Director, Major Project Delivery, Utility Construction Planners, State Operations leadership and Shared Services personnel.
- Practice open and frequent communications with the Natural Gas System Safety (NGSS) group.
- Maintain strong working relationships with the BHC’s corporate support departments including legal, accounting/finance, information services, government and external affairs, regulatory and business development. Seek advice and assistance from these departments as necessary.
- Create and maintain good working relationships with operations leaders within the other BHC jurisdictions.
- Provide leadership to direct and indirect reports as assigned for specific projects.
- Support positive and producing working relationships with various local, state and federal officials as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of (5) five years of project management experience in the energy, utility, construction, or a related field is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management or Engineering Management or other relevant field or an equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Prior leadership experience in distribution and transmission construction planning, engineering, or operations is required.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with safety and compliance requirements and metrics, including DOT Drug & Alcohol testing requirements, Operator Qualification (OQ) requirements, contractor safety and emergency plans, contractor safety orientation process, contractor safety management processes, procedures and tools (e.g. Job Hazard Analyses, tailgate safety meetings, safety standdowns, etc.)
- Proven excellent safety record with demonstrated focus and priority on personnel and system safety.
- Extensive experience working on an OSHA-regulated construction site and familiar with typical construction management and inspection staffing, roles and responsibilities.
- Possess unquestioned integrity and excellent interpersonal relations skills and “emotional IQ”.
- Project Management Professional certification preferred, or the willingness and ability to obtain PMP certification.
- Knowledge of project management principles and their use in a utility environment.
- Knowledge of transmission and distribution systems planning, engineering, and operations.
- Knowledge of transmission and distribution recovery mechanisms and regulatory relationship building.
- Experience with compiling traceable, verifiable, accurate and complete project documentation, including job books, construction records/documentation and as-builts.
- Proficiency with project scheduling with Microsoft Project and/or P6 (MS Project is preferred) and extensive knowledge of critical path scheduling.
- Proficient in all Microsoft suite applications, including Outlook, Excel, Word, Sharefile, Teams, PowerPoint, and Visio, in that order.
- Knowledge of and experience with cloud-based document repository systems such as Sharepoint or Sharefile.
- Experience with cloud-based enterprise project management systems.
- Strong knowledge of and experience working within matrixed teams and organizations with solid and dotted line reporting relationships.
- Proficient with project financial planning, forecasting and controlling processes, tools, and procedures.
- Proven leadership and conflict resolution skills
- Experience with project status updates to all levels of audience, including peers, mid-level managers and executive leadership.
- Proven “calm hand” in emergency and crisis management.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including a demonstrated ability to speak comfortably in front of groups and ability to articulate, communicate and influence.
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct workload, manage time effectively and prioritize business needs.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL DESCRIPTIONS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical descriptions are representative of the activities an employee in an office job performs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental descriptions: Understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Make decisions which have low to moderate impact on immediate department.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee continuously moves about the office and the job sites and operates machines and equipment. Employee frequently accesses low and high areas with additional equipment, ascends/descends stairs, maintains coordination, and engages in repetitive motions (kneeling, reaching). Employee may occasionally use a respirator. Employee operates job related equipment and tools. Employee routinely performs this work for an average of 8-10 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Regular, reliable, and timely attendance is expected.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Light work. The employee is continuously moving about the job site or office space. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of reaching and moving controls exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
Work environment: Routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level and occasionally outdoors in sometimes inclement weather. Worker may be subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working in places of height or close quarters. Willing to travel up to 50% (e.g. 2 weeks or 10 days/month) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Travel will be necessary to conduct the duties of this job and the employee must have proper licensing to operate a motor vehicle.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program (based on percentage of eligible earnings), 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Corporation does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Black Hills Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.
Wage: 85450 to 140900