The Corporate Development Analyst II is responsible for developing financial modeling and analysis, valuation, research and due diligence of growth and investment opportunities for the company. In addition, they will provide updates and recommendations regarding industry trends, new technologies and potential business opportunities for the company.
SALARY RANGE: $69,800 - $104,800 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Director of Growth & Strategy
LOCATION: Our Corporate Headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota
- You’ll find this is the ideal community to live, work and do business in. With hiking trails, the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park in your backyard, there are endless opportunities to enjoy nature. To learn more about our locations, please visit the locations page on our career website.
- A Comprehesive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist cross-functional teams in the assessment and due diligence of potential investments or acquisitions, including presenting recommendations to senior leadership.
- Responsible for performing the financial modeling and analysis on potential capital investments, valuations and scenario analysis for the electric and gas utilities, coal mining, and independent power production.
- Perform various analytical evaluations related to due diligence procedures as assigned related to growth projects.
- Assist in the presentation of complex data analysis to inform senior leadership decision making.
- Conduct post-project economic analysis on major company initiatives to ensure that economic and strategic objectives are achieved.
- Assist with the development of presentations and information packets that are presented to the company’s Board of Directors, senior leadership, customers, and other external parties as requested.
- Prepare regular business updates on industry trends, emerging technologies and technology-enabled business models, focusing on the potential opportunities and threats for the company.
- Develop analytical and technical capabilities and expertise in areas including generation, distributed generation, renewable energy, energy storage, natural gas storage, transmission, distribution, smart grid technologies, regulatory and policy issues.
- Work closely with other business unit teams to assess technology-driven business opportunities and build business cases for these opportunities. Researches and analyzes technical feasibility, industry trends potential markets, competitive landscapes, risk factors, business partners, and customers of new business opportunities, products, and services, for both electric and gas audiences.
- Develop strong understanding of the company’s strategy and business model, including regulatory principles and FERC and GAAP accounting.
- Establish strong relationships across the company to advance effective communication and coordination across departments and companies. Assist various internal departments in order to develop and implement the company's strategic plan.
- Support business development and operations by providing financial, cost-benefit, and other analytic expertise. Coordinate special projects as assigned by the Director of Growth & Strategy and Vice President of Growth & Strategy.
- Minimum of (3) three years of experience in finance, accounting, investment banking, corporate development or related area required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Engineering, or relevant field or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to tackle practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL DESCRIPTIONS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical descriptions are representative of the activities an employee in an office job performs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental description: Understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee continuously accesses, inputs, and retrieves electronic information and communicates regarding the information. Employee frequently moves about the office space. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if moving about is only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. Willing to travel occasionally (less than 10 days per year) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program (based on percentage of eligible earnings), 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Corporation does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Black Hills Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.
Wage: 64100 to 96100