As a key member of the Black Hills IT Financial Applications team, this position will be responsible for implementing, supporting and developing systems primarily supporting Black Hills Corporation's Financial and HR Systems. Responsibilities include writing software to extend Black Hills’ Financial and ERP systems, installing and supporting vendor software packages, partnering with business units, other IT team members and vendors to implement software to specifications, constructing, improving, and maintaining existing systems, and preparing and maintaining application system and technical documentation.
SALARY GRADE: (Determined by the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant.)
Level II: $69,800 - $104,800
Senior Level: $82,000 - $123,000
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Financial IT Applications Manager
LOCATION: This position can be located in Denver, Colorado or at our Company Headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota.
- You’ll find this is the ideal community to live, work and do business in. With hiking trails, the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park in your backyard, there are endless opportunities to enjoy nature. To learn more about our locations, please visit the locations page on our career website.
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Serve as software developer and provide ongoing application support on Financial and HR related technical projects.
- Work with IT and other business team members in all phases of software implementation/software development lifecycles, including identifying and documenting requirements, creating technical design documents, developing and testing solutions, troubleshooting and resolving application issues.
- Design, develop, and test integrations (file or web-services based) between applications as necessary across the enterprise.
- Perform implementation tasks such as data conversion, software installation, and documentation creation.
- Create SQL scripts to correct data and/or to answer ad-hoc data requests and partner with business intelligence teams to generate data to produce enterprise reporting solutions.
- Work with database administration and other IT infrastructure teams as the need arises for environment configuration.
- Review, analyze, and troubleshoot vendor-supplied patches and fixes.
- Devise or modify procedures to solve problems related to applications issues, troubleshoot user support problems, and be actively involved with application performance planning.
- Take proactive steps to evaluate issues, determine alternatives, and implement the appropriate solution for the client group.
- Provide follow-up to ensure successful implementation of designs and enhancements.
- Improve business processes by monitoring and analyzing trends in service tickets received, aiding in problem resolution and recommending improvements in systems and/or systems and business process training.
- Participate and ensure compliance with IT change control and SOX processes.
- Adapt to Black Hills development versioning standards and protocols as well as application/system rollout procedures.
- Be available as part of a rotating on-call schedule to respond during non-working hours, especially related to project target dates and company emergencies.
- Assist with setting strategy, direction, coordination and planning for designated systems
- Work with Technology Integration Specialists or Business Users to design and deliver training.
- Stay up-to-date on changes and advances in technology that could affect the company.
- Under supervision, perform business system design and data modeling tasks.
- Collaborate, mentor, and cross-train with a team of analysts and software developers on concepts, standard methodologies and software development.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Minimum of (3) three years of professional experience with software development required.
- Associate degree in software engineering, equivalent software development, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Minimum of (5) five years of professional experience with software development required.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology or related specialty, or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Prior experience supporting ERP system landscapes (PeopleSoft FSCM/HCM, Hyperion Essbase, Hyperion Financial Reporting, and/or Utilities International are preferred).
- Prior experience working with software version control systems such as GIT, SVN or Microsoft Team Foundation Server.
- Knowledge of information engineering concepts, including business area analysis, business system design, data modeling, and application construction.
- Knowledge of server based computing environment, including computer hardware, operating systems (Linux/Unix, Windows), networking, and middleware.
- Knowledge in database design and writing SQL queries with SQL Server, Oracle or other database technologies to facilitate data analysis and ad-hoc reporting, and to diagnose and resolve software issues.
- Strong understanding of the software development life-cycle.
- Good communication, customer service, leadership, time management, and organizational skills.
- Demonstratable ability to prioritize, work within challenging situations, and adapt quickly when business priorities change.
- Proven understanding of the importance of cybersecurity in protecting company technology assets.
- Maintains a regular, dependable attendance and a consistently high level of performance.
- Ability to work independently with vendors, other IT team members and business partners both locally and remotely in software requirements and system support while keeping team members and leadership well informed of efforts.
- Prior experience developing ERP solutions in the utility or energy market industries is highly preferred but not required.
- Understanding of Sarbanes-Oxley and other risk-based controls as they relate to software systems preferred but not required.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications, including but not limited to Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, SharePoint, and Access.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL DESCRIPTIONS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical descriptions are representative of the activities an employee in an office job performs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental description: Understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee continuously accesses, inputs, and retrieves electronic information and communicates regarding the information. Employee frequently moves about the office space. Employee may occasionally: reach, push/pull, ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if moving about is only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. Willing to travel occasionally (less than 10 days per year) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program (based on percentage of eligible earnings), 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Corporation does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Black Hills Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.
Wage: 69800 to 104800