Responsible for contributing to Company’s fulfillment of financial goals by providing financial management for individual Tier 1 and 2 projects and as a portfolio for the natural gas utility organization. Utilize financial management principles and requirements as defined by the Natural Gas Project Delivery Organization and BHE Accounting/Finance to ensure projects are executed in an efficient financial manner. Coordinate activities such as invoicing, change order management, financial reconciliation and analysis, accruals project budgeting and forecasting and financial monitoring and reporting.
SALARY RANGE: $74,800 - $112,200 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Project Delivery Office (PDO) Manager
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD or Council Bluffs, IA
- To learn more about our locations, please visit: https://careers.blackhillsenergy.com/pages/our-locations
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to: home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Initiate project invoice approvals and coding. Obtain and streamline backup documentation and contextual information.
- Receive invoices from PM/CM, verify and authenticate invoice amounts to the contract terms (including matching with contract value including change orders)
- Set up Work Orders and modify existing Work Orders to apply updated project coding standards.
- Develop invoice payment analysis and justification documentation to support quick management review and approval
- Assist in development in sound accounting best practices and standards for repeatable, predictable and efficient results
- Reconcile Retainage logs/tracking in PMP to invoices and contract terms. Ensure PDO is compliant with Finance/Accounting.
- Ensure proper invoice approval routing and track approvals.
- Provide invoice updates, summaries and analysis to project managers and executives.
Contract Financial Management
- Assist PMs and Senior PMs with calculation, reconciliation and update of change order amounts (contract value) vs what has been invoiced.
- Perform project/contract financial audits to track spend to plan, assisting with Earned Value Management (EVM) calculations and analysis.
- Perform contract spend control audits.
- Perform contract change order financial analysis and tracking.
- Develop CAPS request for new contracts and change order, supplying sufficient documentation for management approval.
- Develop contract modification analysis and justification documentation to support quick management review and approval.
- Review and consolidate spend plan and cash flow estimates for capital Tier 1 and 2 projects
- Submit for approval to appropriate project manager / senior project manager and BHE senior management team
- Develop and communicate consolidated spend analysis reports for senior management.
- Develop and communicate project spend analysis, projections, reports, and project presentations.
- Assist project managers with development and refinement of project spend plan/ cash flows.
- Develop recommendations for cash flow management systems improvements.
- Drive key business processes such as costing, forecasting, cost reduction tracking, variance and analysis, capital budgeting and planning within the PDO.
- Work with the various state regulatory / financial services point persons to ensure monthly accruals for all Tier 1 and 2 projects are submitted, entered in Peoplesoft and approved in a timely manager.
- Create monthly forecasting and accruals tracking systems and provide compliance reports
Job Cost Tracking
- Create, review, brief and consolidate job cost reports.
- Assist PDO in developing better tools and procedures for cost reports, cash flows, spend plans, etc.
- Develop and compile PDO financial reports, system requirements and processes / best practices for consistent forecasting and out year planning.
- Provide concise variance analysis of actual performance compared to plans, forecasts and prior periods.
- Actively seek methods to enhance overall efficiency and performance of project financial management, including better software systems and procedures.
- Communicate with both team members and executives during the project lifecycle. Present findings to stakeholders and effectively communicate between team members and departments.
- Maintain the BHC safety culture.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Some travel may be involved periodically between six or more states, depending on the location of this position. Estimated annual travel is less than 20%.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience required with increasingly progressive responsibilities in the project/business financial management field.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business Administration, Management or other relevant field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive experience with gathering and analyzing financial data, organizing reports, and presenting findings to stakeholders.
- Experience successfully managing project budgets for projects in execution simultaneously in excess of $2 million per project.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Financial Planner (CFP), Financial Risk Manager (FRM) certification or designation is a plus.
- Knowledge of various project and financial management software programs, such as Asset Suite, Procore, Workfront, etc. and using IT systems to monitor project financial performance.
- Proficiency with MS Excel and MS Project.
- Knowledge of best financial management and accounting practices.
- Proven leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, monitor and accomplish goals that support the projects’ and organizations financial health and efficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct workload and prioritize business needs.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to articulate, communicate and influence executives and team members across departments.
- Ability to effectively manage the financials of multiple major projects simultaneously.
- Ability to make decisions based on the factors and ability to work under stress and deadlines.
- Experience managing risks, issues, and conflict resolution.
- Tracking / monitoring skills.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Ability to apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to: use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close visual acuity. Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. Must be capable of up to 10% travel (e.g. 2 days/month) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Travel will be necessary to conduct the duties of this job, and the employee must have the ability to drive and have proper licensing.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Corporation does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Black Hills Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. We make all employment decisions without regard to an applicant or employee's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, creed, disability, age, veteran status or any other protected class.
Wage: 74800 to 112200