Lead the governmental affairs public policy, political and legislative strategies of Black Hills Energy, a natural gas provider in Iowa; represent company’s interests before the state legislature, state officials and industry associations; inform business unit and corporate management and employees of key legislative, political and public policy issues; develop and maintain constructive working relationships with elected and appointed state leaders and key stakeholders in the state.
SALARY RANGE: $83,750 - $138,150 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Director, Governmental Affairs
LOCATION: Grimes, IA
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to: home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Serve the governmental affairs needs of the business unit in Iowa and the company as a whole, under the Director of Governmental Affairs.
- Develop and execute public policy, legislative and political strategies to advance Black Hills Energy’s business goals and objectives.
- Monitor and analyze state legislation and public policy impacting Black Hills Energy and its customers; advise and inform Company officials of issues and positions.
- Develop and propose public policy and legislative solutions to advance access to safe, reliable and cost-effective energy.
- Inform and influence elected officials to support Company positions, including through oral testimony before legislative committees, written and interpersonal communication.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with state elected and key appointed officials and staff, including Governor, state legislators, congressional delegation and local officials.
- Act as a company liaison to and build respected working partnerships with state associations and other industry organizations, including to develop and pass legislation in line with Black Hills Energy’s priorities.
- Develop and maintain position papers on designated issues impacting Black Hills Energy at the state and enterprise levels.
- Create and support strategies to optimize Black Hills Energy’s Political Action Committee, including membership recruitment, promotion and contribution strategies to candidates.
- Inform, educate, and engage Black Hills Energy employees in the state and across the enterprise on key legislative, political, and public policy issues impacting the company.
- Participate in business unit operations and Governmental Affairs team functions and projects.
- Lead, manage and support departmental programs and initiatives as assigned, including enterprise and business unit level internal cross-functional teams focused on public policy and legislative solutions at state and federal levels.
- Develop advocacy plans, leveraging company leadership, employees, industry allies and external coalitions.
- Partner with Regulatory, Legal and Operations in planning and implementation of strategies before regulatory bodies.
- Work collaboratively with internal partners, such as Community Affairs, Business Development and Corporate Communications, to strengthen the Black Hills Energy’s brand and reputation with customers and other external stakeholders.
- Manage and support other projects as assigned.
- History of successful legislative advocacy, public policy, political or issue advocacy efforts.
- Minimum of five years of professional experience in governmental affairs, legislative, public policy or public administration, political campaigns, communications, or public relations.
- Experience in the energy industry preferred.
- Minimum of Bachelor degree in Business, Political Science/Government or related degree. Master’s in Business Administration, Public Administration or Juris Doctorate or related degree preferred.
- Knowledge of retail utility, electric, natural gas, oil, natural resource, environmental, and other energy and business issues.
- Knowledge of state legislative processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of political processes, issue advocacy and public relations.
- Knowledge of the state’s governmental, political and economic characteristics.
- Personal drive, creativity and initiative to create opportunities to influence public policy.
- Ability to analyze complex issues, interpret and communicate in concise, clear and actionable formats (including presentations, formal written documents and informal communication).
- Demonstrated strategic planning, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Commitment to providing exceptional, timely and quality service to internal and external customers.
- Excellent written and oral communication and persuasion skills.
- Committed and loyal team player and collaborator.
- Flexibility to travel regularly among Black Hills’ service territory locations within the state and out of state as needed.
- Ability to manage multiple projects.
- Commitment to personal and professional accountability to adhere to key values, including safety, wellness, ethical business and personal standards.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions. Ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the immediate department.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to: use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close visual acuity. Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Light work. The employee is continuously required to stand and walk. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
Work environment: Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. Must be capable of up to 50% travel (e.g. 2 weeks or 10 days/month) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Travel will be necessary to conduct the duties of this job, and the employee must have the ability to drive and have proper licensing.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Wage: 83750 to 138150