In this important role you will ensure that all projected electric customer load demand is met, around-the-clock, in the most economic and efficient manner while adhering to operating system constraints and industry or regulatory guidelines.
SALARY RANGE: $62,850 - $94,200 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Real Time Operations Manager
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
- To learn more about our locations, please visit the locations page on our career website.
- Relocation assistance is available for this position! Package is based on distance/complexity of the move, and individual circumstances. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Purchase and/or reassign required transmission rights for each transmission segment of each transaction. This requires knowledge of transmission contracts, ownership of transmission systems, NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation) registered POR/POD, sources, sinks, and transmission products.
- Resolve interchange scheduling and pricing disputes with utility and power marketing entity counterparts.
- Conduct trades via contacts with producers, traders and power delivery organizations in compliance with the organization’s energy marketing policies and procedures.
- Analyze and react to market conditions.
- Ensure that all actions are in full compliance with applicable NERC operating standards, other regional and regulatory standards, and the Company’s risk policy.
- Operate the real-time bulk power system by directing the output of generating units to maintain system control performance within established criteria at the lowest possible cost.
- Assist in analyzing resources, load obligations, generation dispatch and market opportunities to maximize margins for real-time transactions.
- Manage load forecasts, actual load and available resources to balance Company’s load position and to ensure reliable electric service for Company’s native load customers for three load control areas.
- Provide operational support for energy transactions initiated and negotiated in the energy marketing and trading group.
- Verify the creation and processing of complete and accurate hourly data necessary to verify and account for all consummated transactions.
- Respond to generation disturbances and outages to mitigate plant contingencies and ensure integrity of firm contract obligations.
- Implement real-time actions, up to and including coordination of shedding firm load, to ensure stable and reliable operation of the Bulk Electric System.
- Administer all electric utilities wholesale power contracts.
- Provide assistance to other energy management employees as needed.
- Advise and assist less experienced energy management employees in the successful completion of real time duties and their development and understanding of all facets of the Company’s position management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain effective working relationships with all energy management employees.
- Establish and maintain positive business relationships with counterparts at regional or national utilities and marketer organizations, including Joint Ownership Unit participants.
- Develop business relationships that optimize the Company’s presence in the energy markets.
- One or more years of relevant experience required.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Finance, Mathematics, Business or related field preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Energy economic analysis, interchange scheduling, energy trading, or RTO market experience preferred.
- Valid NERC System Operator Certification preferred.
- General understanding of the competitive wholesale electricity marketplace, including the effects from market dynamics such as delivery limitations, regional supply/demand, daily/seasonal diversities, reliability aspects, fuel considerations, etc.
- General understanding of Regional Transmission Organization operations.
- Basic knowledge of the interconnected bulk power generation and transmission network and the operational aspects of that network.
- Knowledge of electric utility operations, generation dispatch, energy marketing, and transmission system operations.
- Basic understanding of transaction scheduling and tagging requirements.
- Knowledge of OASIS (Open Access Same Time Information System) sites and their functions for the purchase and scheduling of transmission rights.
- Basic knowledge of electric power system load and resource management and marketing techniques.
- Knowledge of physical real-time, day ahead or monthly physical electrical energy trading.
- Business knowledge of contract management.
- Budgeting, planning and financial reporting knowledge.
- Working knowledge of financial, business and managerial accounting.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to articulate, communicate, influence, and negotiate.
- Ability to perform under considerable stress induced by a highly competitive environment, impending deadlines, emergency situations and a rotating work schedule.
- Analytical skills to properly assess complex technical and economic variables and the capability to make fast and accurate decisions based on the conclusions reached.
- Proficiency in computer applications including Word, Excel and various specialized software/programs.
- Demonstrated ability to interact positively with others in a team environment.
- Strong planning, organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to complete an energy sale, including making necessary transmission reservations and creating a successful energy tag.
- Ability to perform market survey to identify potential buyers/sellers and market pricing.
- Ability to make quick decisions, negotiate price and quantity of energy products, and analyze complex problems in a high stress environment.
- Ability to work rotating twelve-hour shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Ability to apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to: use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close visual acuity. Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. Must be capable of occasional travel (less than 10 days per year) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Wage: 62850 to 94200