The Senior Right of Way Agent will research and analyze title documents and land records and/or oversee research to determine current land ownership. Negotiate and prepare surface agreements, permits, licenses, leases and easements from identified landowners for the acquisition of land rights necessary for company facilities. Manage all contract land professionals and surveyors, as needed. Negotiate access and surface damages to accommodate the construction, operation, and maintenance of company facilities. Work closely with utility planners, project engineering, operations, legal and accounting teams.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to: home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
SALARY RANGE: $78,800 - $102,470 (Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Director of Land
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Thoroughly researches and analyzes courthouse title records, including fee, federal, state, Tribal, county and municipal lands, as needed. Hire and manage contract land professionals from time-to-time when projects require additional resources. Identify title defects and secure necessary curative.
- Negotiates the acquisition of easements and other property interests as necessary to accommodate the construction, operation, and maintenance of company facilities.
- Negotiates property damage settlements and loss claims associated with capital projects and day to day operations necessary to maintain company facilities.
- Prepares cost estimates and budgets associated with right-of-way and other land acquisitions.
- Reviews, prepares, analyzes, interprets all land and right-of-way related agreements, easements, leases, permits, and licenses.
- Serves as liaison between internal departments, developers, cities, counties, etc., in support of right-of-way and land use activities. Provides testimony and serves and an expert before municipal planning and other commissions or public forums.
- Resolves encroachments, damage claims, landowner issues and complaints within acceptable terms and costs to company.
- Communicates in an effective and understandable way, both verbally and written, including email.
- Develops and maintains a positive working relationship with staff, other departments and management.
- Regularly uses Excel spreadsheets, databases and Microsoft word processing software, and other software needed to maximize efficiencies.
- Always uses tact, courtesy and professionalism in dealing with a wide variety of people inside and outside the company.
- Speaks clearly, both in person and by telephone, using excellent verbal and listening skills.
- Maintains regular, dependable attendance and consistently performs at a high level.
- Other daily, weekly and monthly duties as assigned.
- Stays abreast of new and changing laws and regulations that might impact the Company’s land activities.
- May be required to work non-traditional hours, as needed.
- Maintains a high regard for personal safety, for the safety of company assets and employees, and the general public.
- Carries a company provided cell phone/pager (or a personal cell phone with approved company apps) and is available to respond during working hours; may be required to respond during non-working hours, especially related to company emergencies.
- Under limited supervision, performs professional level work. Develops solutions through thoughtful analysis and research. Responsible for critically important work involving complex projects performed with a broader technical and business context.
- Support training and mentoring of other Right of Way Agents as assigned.
- Represent Company when appearing before Planning and Zoning Committees, and other governmental boards, to advocate for approval of capital projects.
- Maintain professional working relations with the South Dakota/Wyoming Black Hills Energy leadership team and other Black Hills corporate partners.
- 7 or more years of applicable work experience (skills and knowledge in title research, land and real property rights, landowner negotiations, and contracts) is required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Requires technical, financial and business knowledge in multiple disciplines and processes. Knows and applies the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Requires strong working familiarity with legal provisions for easements and land use documents and knowledge of legal land descriptions.
- Knowledgeable of federal, state, county and municipal laws pertaining to land rights and uses.
- Strong business systems knowledge.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Microsoft applications, including but not limited to Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and Access.
- Strong analytical skills and logical thought processes, with the ability to identify and resolve complex issues/problems.
- Ability to analyze business reporting information and recommend improvements.
- Ability to work with a team, take direction from supervisor (s), excellent attention to details, follow established procedures and meet established work schedules.
- Ability to organize, schedule and prioritize departmental and individual work to meet various schedules and objectives.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to successfully perform the required and expected duties with minimal direct supervision.
- Must be able to successfully perform multiple tasks within strict deadlines.
- Ability to organize work effectively, reprioritize as new demands arise, and maintain strict confidentiality.
- Certified Right-of-Way Agent (International ROW Association) preferred.
- South Dakota and/or Wyoming Notary Public preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers.
- Position requires travel (25% to 75%).
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without accommodation.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2800 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an EEO Employer.