This position requires relocation to Rapid City, South Dakota. See paid relocation details below.
In this important role the Manager of Transmission & Distribution will provide overall leadership, management and direction for the Transmission and Distribution Planning Departments. Manage and direct all transmission, sub-transmission and distribution planning activities, including the preparation and development of long-term transmission plans to meet the needs of all customers for electric utilities located in South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado. Manage and direct all department activities and provide support to other departments to ensure compliance with WECC, NERC, FERC and state regulatory requirements. Represent the company at regional and sub-regional planning groups. Actively participate as a member of the Planning, Policy & Strategy leadership team.
SALARY GRADE: $91,200 - $150,450 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Planning, Policy & Strategy Senior Manager
LOCATION: Rapid City, South Dakota
- To learn more about this location, please visit: https://careers.blackhillsenergy.com/pages/our-locations
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to: home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide leadership, guidance, and supervisory support to the transmission and distribution planning supervisors as they manage day to day activities of the department for grid reliability, including support of growth projects and grid modernization.
- Lead the transmission and distribution project origination effort in support of the electric utility capital and strategic plan. Provide sound recommendations and justification for capital budgets and strategic plans associated with transmission, sub-transmission projects and distribution projects with particular focus on developing detailed capital plans of five years or more.
- Develop the O&M and capital budget for the Transmission and Distribution Planning Departments.
- Support regional transmission coordination and market development activities of the company.
- Provide key support in maintaining compliance with the Black Hills electric utility OATTs and FERC rulemakings pertaining to transmission planning. Coordinate with Transmission Policy and Regulatory departments on rule makings, compliance filings, technical hearings and other activities as needed.
- Key activities of Transmission Planning Department include the following:
- Develop and execute computer-based load flow and short circuit studies required to fully evaluate the electric transmission system to establish short-term and long-term transmission project proposals to be included in the strategic plan.
- Complete studies associated with the interconnection of new load, generation or transmission facilities.
- Perform technical report writing in support of study efforts and regulatory policy and technical workshops, rule makings and hearings.
- Represent BHE’s interests in national, regional and local committees, task forces and working groups.
- Manage project work and maintain relationships with consultants and retained experts.
- Manage and maintain full compliance with all applicable FERC, NERC and WECC Reliability Standard requirements as a technical subject matter expert and Primary Standard Owner.
- Key activities of the Distribution Planning Department include the following:
- Perform engineering studies for BHE’s electric distribution system. Evaluate system performance and recommend engineering solutions to address system risks, reliability and load growth over a five to ten year planning horizon for inclusion in the strategic plan. Lead the development and execution of standardizing distribution planning practices among the three electric utilities.
- Manage and maintain the electric distribution system model software to complete coordination studies, fault current studies and load flow analyses. Coordinate with GIS and IT to maintain the distribution model accuracy and updating the model’s equipment database.
- Lead the development and implementation of distribution planning best practices related to Distributed Energy Resources (DERs) and storage, including IEEE 1547, with consideration and support for distribution automation tools and Advanced Distribution Management Systems (ADMS).
- Perform Outage Response Leader duties and provide outage support to Reliability Center personnel.
- Ensure strong communications between the Transmission and Distribution Planning Departments and the Engineering Services and Reliability Center staff.
- Provide technical input into the Black Hills electric utilities resource planning efforts and transmission related strategy.
- Provide regulatory support functions by preparing data responses and expert testimony on transmission related issues.
- Assist in the planning and administration of South Dakota and Wyoming 69 kV Distribution Agreements with the South Dakota and Wyoming cooperative participants.
- 7-10 years of electric utility experience with a thorough knowledge of transmission planning and operations and/or distribution planning and operations.
- Experience with managing and maintaining WECC, NERC and FERC regulatory compliance.
- Experience with power flow & dynamics software application such as Siemens PTI PSS/E, GE PSLF or PowerWorld. Experience with Siemens PTI is preferred.
- Experience with distribution planning software, GIS, DER integration and grid modernization planning.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Business required, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Power Systems emphasis preferred.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) license preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and a driving record satisfactory to the Company and its insurers.
- Electrical system and bulk interconnected system design and operation.
- Knowledge with power system simulation software programs (Siemens PTI preferred).
- Knowledge of FERC, NERC, and WECC standards, policies and procedures.
- Ability to develop, monitor and accomplish challenging goals, and effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Self-motivated, detailed, highly organized and the ability to self-direct workload and prioritize department needs.
- Excellent computer skills; strong oral and written communication skills.
- Possess unquestionable integrity and excellent judgment.
- Excellent interpersonal relations skills with ability to articulate priorities, communicate and influence. Ability to create strong partnerships.
- Demonstrate the ability to represent the Company in front of various stakeholders: employee groups, customers, regulatory agencies, governmental officials, and industry associations.
- Requires travel within the electric utility service territories (South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado) and for support of corporate subsidiaries.
- Perform and supervise work on or in close proximity to energized electrical facilities.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions. Ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the immediate department.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to: use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close visual acuity. Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: reach, push/pull, ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day
and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level, and occasionally outdoors in sometimes inclement weather. Worker may be subject to hazards including variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working in places of height, or close quarters. Must be capable of up to 15% travel (e.g. 3.5 days/month) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Travel will be necessary to conduct the duties of this job, and the employee must have the ability to drive and have proper licensing.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2800 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an EEO Employer.