In this role the welder will be responsible for the installation of steel and polyethylene (PE) mains, fabrication of metering facilities, and related construction oversight.
WAGE RANGE: $30.15 - $42.73 per (Determined by current Collective Bargaining Agreement.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Gas Operations Supervisor
LOCATION: Laramie, Wyoming
- Must live within 20 minutes of reporting location.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for performing and inspecting pipeline and structural welding required for construction and maintenance of Company facilities including the installation, operation and maintenance of all gas pipeline related facilities.
- Responsible for installing, relocating, replacing, maintaining and repairing gas lines.
- Inspect pipeline and structural welding required for construction and maintenance of Company facilities including the installation, operation and maintenance of distribution and transmission facilities.
- Provide oversight and inspection to ensure asset protection and compliance with company procedures of excavation activities near pipeline facilities.
- Responsible for inspection duties per Company policies including completion of required documentation, as-built drawings, contractor oversight and supervision, act as Company representative during construction activities, report progress to Operations Management and ensure proper reporting and compliance with Safety and Environmental policies.
- Participates in quality emergency responder programs.
- Represent the Company during contacts with landowner/tenant, public official, emergency official and local organization (i.e. One-Call, Pipeline Group, Soil Conservation, etc.) meetings.
- Inspect/oversee the construction and /or maintenance activities performed by third parties.
- Train and oversee company and third-party personnel as required (i.e. personnel in progression, contractors, visitors, etc.).
- Perform governmental compliance activities (PHMSA, State Agencies, EPA, USFS, etc.)
- Perform mapping, record keeping and data entry duties per company policies.
- Identify report and correct safety and environmental concerns.
- Participate in the development of O&M Procedures, Site Specific Procedures, project scopes and work plans.
- Complete all applicable documentation and record keeping.
- Perform all work in compliance with Company Standards, procedures, regulatory and tariff requirements.
- Other daily, weekly and monthly duties as assigned.
- Be available for and provide emergency response after regular business hours.
- May be required to carry a company-provided cell phone/pager and be available to respond during working hours; may be required to respond during non-working hours, especially related to company emergencies.
- May be required to work non-traditional hours as needed.
- High school diploma of equivalent.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers.
- Three years+ gas welding experience preferred.
- API 1104 welding certification preferred.
- Associate of Applied Science or diploma from technical school preferred.
- Applicable company and regulatory welding and fusion certifications.
- Achieve and maintain all Operator Qualifications and progression requirements applicable to the job classification.
- Knowledge of basic properties of metals.
- Knowledge of basic properties of plastic pipeline materials.
- Knowledge and experience in safe handling practices of flammable gases, liquids and high-pressure systems.
- Knowledge of company policies and practices, and regulatory and tariff requirements.
- Maintain a high regard for personal safety, for the safety of company assets and employees, and the general public.
- Basic computer skills.
- Basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals).
- Ability to work with a team, take direction from supervisors, keep required job schedules, focus attention on details, and follow work rules.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to perform essential functions of the job.
- Job planning and organizational skills.
- Work from job related blueprints, sketches and diagrams.
- Operate micrometers, calipers, and thickness testing equipment.
- Operate all plastic fusion equipment including all tools required for maintenance and emergency on plastic pipelines.
- Maintain a regular, dependable attendance and a consistently high level of performance.
- Detailed oriented.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual discretionary bonuses, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off benefits, including paid holidays and parental leave, company paid life insurance and disability benefits (short and long term), an employee assistance program and well-being benefits, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran. If you require reasonable accommodation, please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com for more information.