The Corporate Accounting Manager directly supports and manages the Corporate Accounting function of Black Hills Energy. The role is responsible for managing the monthly close process, financial statement analysis, review of account reconciliations and journal entries, and variance analysis review. Other duties include providing insight to key business drivers and ensuring the integrity of accounting records for compliance with GAAP. This individual will work cross functionally to provide insight into strategic initiatives, implement continuous improvement and best practices. An individual with experience in regulated utility and/or a publicly traded SEC reporting company or the ability to quickly learn and perform with these industry standards will be successful in this position.
SALARY RANGE: $98,200 – $162,000 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Senior Finance Manager
LOCATION: This position can be located in Fayetteville, Arkansas, Council Bluffs, Iowa, or at our Corporate Headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota.
- A comprehensive relocation package is offered for this position! Details about this package will be shared during the interview and offer process.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Review and/or prepare account reconciliations while aiding in the continuous improvement of account reconciliations and enhance deliverables pertaining to the month-end close and financial statement preparation.
- Review and/or prepare variance analysis while providing vision and leadership to ensure the team understands both the operations and business drivers behind the variance analysis.
- Manage timelines and deliverable for rate case support, internal and external audit, and financial reporting. Ensure that information provided is accurate and presented in a useful and understandable format.
- Manage a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality to best deliver value to customers and shareholders.
- Ensure team adherence to accounting policies being documented and that they are in compliance with GAAP, FERC, and sound business practices.
- Provide leadership and support to the Corporate Accounting team through coaching, mentoring, and training; create and support a positive work environment.
- Provide technical accounting guidance and support. Proactively understand and implement new accounting rules and regulations.
- Identify and implement solutions to issues surrounding accounting processes. Effectively articulate proposed solutions to stakeholders.
- Minimum (7) seven years of experience in all aspects of accounting responsibilities required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance/Business Administration or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Understands how operational and financial decisions impact the financial statements, including impacts to rate making model, GAAP, FERC, SEC reporting, and internal controls. Understands risk factors and mitigation of risk.
- Demonstrates the ability to collect, analyze, model and interpret information to evaluate accuracy of expected results, articulate the financial implications, and enable informed decision making that considers impacts across the company.
- Demonstrates concise and clear written and verbal communication skills with the ability to actively listen, adapt messaging based on audience, influence and effectively articulates thoughts to internal and external stakeholders.
- Understands data, data mining tools (ie: Excel, Essbase, etc.) and system interfaces and applies technology solutions to job responsibilities. Leverages data mining tools and techniques to effectively organize information and explain performance.
- Establishes and promotes strategic and innovative thinking to achieve common goals as a team. Possesses honesty, integrity, and empathy. Demonstrates active listening skills to successfully manage, mentor, empower, inspire, and influence others.
- Possesses the ability to identify the problem and analyze potential solutions. Assesses risk and uses judgment when implementing change with clear understanding of cross-functional implications. Maintains a mind-set of continuous improvement.
- Understands the energy industry, regulated utility model, and publicly traded business models. Applies functional, operational and technical knowledge and skill sets (including FERC, GAAP, and SEC guidance) to drive financial results.
- Seeks to understand, anticipate, and address needs through responsive and quality interactions while balancing the needs with the broader organizational goals. Establishes and maintains effective trusting and respectful relationships throughout the organization.
- Anticipates and recognizes a changing environment and adapts in a responsive and effective way. Possesses strong drive to learn continuously and quickly, strong collaboration skills, resilience in the face of setbacks, and is open to new ideas.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize, delegate and complete multiple projects in a timely manner.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual discretionary bonuses, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off benefits, including paid holidays and parental leave, company paid life insurance and disability benefits (short and long term), an employee assistance program and well-being benefits, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran. If you require reasonable accommodation, please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com for more information.
Wage: 98200 to 162000