In this role the Gas Operations Technician will safely perform general gas distribution system maintenance, operation and construction work.
PAY RANGE: Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
- Level I: $23.89 - $35.70 per hour
- Level II: $26.71 – $40.07 per hour
- Senior Level: $30.05 - $44.95 per hour
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Gas Operations Supervisor
LOCATION: Basalt, Colorado
- Must live within 30 minutes of reporting location.
- The successful candidate will be eligible for geographic differential pay if they currently reside or once they have met the requirement to relocate to within 30 minutes of the reporting location.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide recommendations on proper material type and size to accommodate load requirements and pressure.
- Insure accurate location and installation of facilities such as service lines, mains and meter sets.
- Proficient in underground line locating.
- Above and underground leak classification and repairs.
- Gas measurement, pressure regulation and over pressure protection installations.
- Install facilities according to specifications such as trench depth/width, proper auguring, plowing and shoring.
- Perform hot line tapping of mains and services of various sizes and type by selection of proper equipment and using correct procedures.
- Perform leak repair on underground facilities using approved repair methods and materials based on type of sizes of mains and services.
- Maintain certification and perform plastic fusion of mains and services and proper installation of mechanical fittings.
- Perform pressure testing of facilities to ensure integrity and satisfy company and Regulatory requirements and proper above grade corrosion control by application of recommended painting techniques and material, also below grade corrosion control and anode installation surface preparation and coating applications.
- Inspect and supervise construction activities of gas contract construction crews.
- Other duties as required.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Level I: No experience required.
- Level II: Minimum of (2) two years of experience required.
- Senior Level: Minimum of (4) four years of experience required.
- Comprehensive understanding of gas operating safety procedures.
- Familiarity of Black Hills construction standards and procedures.
- Ability to pass PE Fusion certificate.
- Ability to effectively prioritize projects and equipment needs while maintaining a rigorous construction activity schedule.
- A demonstrated mechanical ability, the ability to read and understand operation manuals and has a solid understanding of regulators, meters, and pipefitting and gas operations.
- Ability to remain calm and make effective spontaneous decision during emergency situations that may affect the safety of the general public, contractors and other employees.
- Effective customer interaction and resolution skills.
- Familiarity with steel welding procedures.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual discretionary bonuses, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off benefits, including paid holidays and parental leave, company paid life insurance and disability benefits (short and long term), an employee assistance program and well-being benefits, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran. If you require reasonable accommodation, please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com for more information.
Wage: 23.89 to 44.95