As a key member of the Black Hills IT GIS team, this position will be responsible for implementing and maintaining systems primarily supporting Black Hills Corporation's Geographic Information Systems. Responsibilities include all aspects of application support, application architecture design and administration, writing software code to extend Black Hills’ GIS systems, installing and supporting vendor software packages, partnering with business units, other IT team members and vendors to implement software to specifications, constructing, enhancing, and maintaining existing systems, and preparing and maintaining application system and technical documentation.
SALARY RANGE: Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
- Level II: $73,700 - $110,600
- Senior Level: $86,550 - $129,900
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Utility Systems IT Supervisor/Manager
LOCATION: This position may be located in Fayetteville, Arkansas; Denver, Colorado; or our corporate headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota.
- A comprehensive relocation package is offered for this position! Details about this package will be shared during the interview and offer process.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Serve as software developer and provide ongoing application support on GIS-related technical projects.
- Lead and/or work with IT, GIS and other business team members in all phases of software implementation/software development lifecycles, including identifying and documenting requirements, creating technical design documents, developing and testing solutions, managing source code to Black Hills versioning standards and system rollout procedures, troubleshooting and resolving application issues.
- Perform implementation tasks such as developing data conversion, creating SQL scripts to correct data and/or to answer ad-hoc data requests, and partnering with business intelligence teams to generate data to produce enterprise reporting solutions related to GIS systems.
- Review, analyze, configure and troubleshoot vendor-supplied software packages, patches and fixes. Work with Black Hills database administration and other IT infrastructure teams as required for environment configurations.
- Devise or modify procedures to solve problems related to application and system integration issues, determine alternatives, troubleshoot user support problems, implement the appropriate solution for the client group, and be actively involved with application performance planning.
- Improve business processes by monitoring and analyzing trends in service tickets received, aiding in problem resolution, and recommending improvements in systems and/or systems and business process training.
- Participate and ensure compliance with IT change control and cyber security processes.
- Be available as part of a rotating on-call schedule to respond during non-working hours, especially related to project deadlines and company emergencies.
- Assist with setting strategy, direction, coordination and planning for designated systems.
- Perform business system design and data modeling tasks.
- Collaborate, mentor, and cross-train with a team of analysts and software developers on concepts, standard methodologies, and software development.
- Minimum of (3) three years of professional experience with software engineering and supporting application systems, required.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science or related specialty, or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Minimum of (5) five years of professional experience with software engineering and supporting application systems required.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science or related specialty, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Strong understanding of geodatabases and other GIS spatial data formats. Prior experience supporting GIS system landscapes (ESRI ArcGIS and/or GE Smallworld are preferred). Prior experience developing GIS solutions in the utility or energy market industries is highly preferred but not required.
- Strong understanding of the software development life cycle. Prior experience working with software version control systems such as GIT, SVN or Microsoft Team Foundation Server.
- Knowledge of information engineering concepts, including business area analysis, business system design, data modeling, and application construction.
- Knowledge of server based computing environment, including computer hardware, operating systems (Linux/Unix, Windows), networking, and middleware.
- Knowledge in database design and writing SQL queries with SQL Server, Oracle or other database technologies to facilitate data analysis and ad-hoc reporting, and to diagnose and resolve software issues.
- Ability to lead, organize and work independently with vendors, other IT team members and business partners both locally and remotely in software requirements and system support while keeping team members and leadership well informed of efforts.
- Strong communication, customer service, leadership, time management, and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, work within challenging situations, and adapt quickly when business priorities change.
- Strong understanding of the importance of cybersecurity in protecting company technology assets.
- Maintains a regular, dependable attendance and a consistently high level of performance.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual discretionary bonuses, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off benefits, including paid holidays and parental leave, company paid life insurance and disability benefits (short and long term), an employee assistance program and well-being benefits, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran. If you require reasonable accommodation, please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com for more information.
Wage: 73700 to 110600