We are seeking students who are eager to learn, self-motivated and are comfortable working independently. This internship will make an impact! You will support and assist various projects as assigned within the corporate Community Affairs Department. These projects will be assigned consistent with the Company’s Internship Program with an emphasis on developing an understanding of the Company and enhancing the intern’s ability to apply his/her education in a business environment. Learn more about our internship program here: https://careers.blackhillsenergy.com/students.
PAY: $17.00 per hour (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Program Manager Community Relations
LOCATION: Rapid City, South Dakota
- To learn more about our locations, please visit the locations page on our career website.
- Intern Relocation Adjustment Allowance of $1,000.00 is offered for the purpose of assisting with various expenses associated with your relocation for the internship (less applicable taxes and based on eligibility). Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Write, edit and coordinate projects including the preparation of newsletters and articles, talking points, brochures, advertising, news releases and other collateral material.
- In partnership with other Community Affairs team members, develop and maintain strong working relationships with key internal and external clients.
- Effectively manage responsibilities and assigned projects in a timely, organized manner.
- Support Community Affairs objectives, including proactive media relations; coordinated community involvement; research of community impact initiatives and developing and managing a consistent communications program.
- Research and update community leader contacts to into data system. To include elected officials, Chamber of Commerce, Economic Development organizations, and other prominent community connections
- Perform a variety of administrative duties including event planning and scheduling meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including:
- You will be expected to represent Community Affairs and support communications, as it relates to: Community Events, Charitable Giving processes, Internal Communications, and any other event or project in which Community Affairs plays an important role.
- College junior or above working toward a Bachelor’s degree or within one year of graduation in Strategic or Mass Communications, Journalism, Business Administration, Public Relations, Marketing, Finance, Analytics or similar field required.
- No experience required.
- Interest in community service and corporate philanthropy.
- Knowledge project management fundamentals.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prepare and give presentations.
- Attention to detail required.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- General knowledge of tactics and tools (print, Web, newsletter, news release) used in the development of internal and external communications.
- General knowledge of computer-related software, such as word processing and desktop publishing software.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate with employees and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business, employee and applicant information.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Internship benefits include: Casual dress code and eligibility to earn 401(k) contributions.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran. If you require reasonable accommodation, please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com for more information.
Wage: 17 to 20