DISTRICT OFFICE: Webster City, Iowa
WORK LOCATION: Rockford, Iowa
CALL OUT AREA: Area #14 – Rockford, Iowa
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: Must reside within 20 miles of Rockford, Iowa
- Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Subject to after hours on-call status during weekday, weekends, and holidays.
The overall purpose of this position is to know and understand the principles of natural gas and distribution system to ensure safe delivery of natural gas from town border stations to the customers our company serves. Perform maintenance, repair, construction, and emergency activities to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the natural gas distribution system. May be assigned to perform maintenance and repair activities, construction activities, or a combination of maintenance and construction as directed.
WAGE RANGE: $29.83 - $39.25 per hour (Determined by the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Operations Supervisor
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Incumbent must know and have the ability to use all various types of underground locating equipment currently in use by the company and be able to accurately locate and mark or identify all-natural gas mains, service lines and fuel lines within our distribution system.
- Incumbent must know the layout of a natural gas distribution system within all communities served, to be able to provide emergency response to all types of natural gas emergencies, including various types of underground system leaks to structural inside gas leaks. Position is also required to respond to carbon monoxide emergencies and emergency locating of distribution system. Provide requested after hours (on-call) service as required.
- Incumbent must know and have the ability to perform system leak survey and cathodic protection to ensure system integrity, along with annual mandated system inspections to meet requirements of the companies O&M manual, Department of Transportation, regulatory, state, and local governing bodies, to include proper documented reports.
- Analyzes the local gas distribution system and recommends improvements to manager for review.
- To know and have the ability to install, service, and routinely change out all sizes of natural gas metering devices, pressure regulators, relief valves and filters. To have the ability to read meters accurately for proper customer billing.
- Incumbent must be able to install and assist with new construction or replacement of natural gas mains, service, and fuel lines.
- Incumbent must know and understand and have the ability to properly set, adjust and monitor various pressures used for delivery of natural gas. Pressures vary from more than 300 pounds to ounces of pressure throughout a distribution system. To know and understand the various types and sizes of material in current systems and the various material types for replacement and new construction of a system. Materials in service are, cast iron, coated, and wrapped steel or bare steel. Various types of plastic or otherwise known as P.E. pipe.
- Incumbent must perform odorant testing to ensure proper levels of odorant are maintained within the natural gas distribution system.
- Operate and maintain Peak Shaving Plant.
- Administration, reports, record keeping, and documentation as required in accordance with company O & M. Training, testing, and meetings.
- Attend safety meetings and another employee training as assigned.
- May participate in community relations activities.
- Performs other duties, which are similar, related or incidental to this position and may work as directed, in other activities that require skills of a higher classification if qualified, as per Article 15 Section 3.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license. Position assignment may require CDL and/or Hazmat endorsement.
- Must live within 20 miles from the city limits of Rockford, Iowa.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must be able to possess P.E. certification.
- Three years gas operations or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of natural gas distribution system, policies, and procedures per company O&M manual.
- Good oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to work outside in all weather extremes.
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers.
- Ability to use hand tools, test equipment, CGI /gas detectors, pressure gauges, line locators.
- Ability to operate major equipment including trenchers backhoes, tapping, and stopping devices.
- Ability to read maps and prints, lay outs and fabricate work.
- Ability to work/walking outside constantly lifting and digging.
- Must be team oriented.
- Demonstration of strong work ethic.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual discretionary bonuses, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off benefits, including paid holidays and parental leave, company paid life insurance and disability benefits (short and long term), an employee assistance program and well-being benefits, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran. If you require reasonable accommodation, please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com for more information.