Analyze the transmission expansion needed to improve reliability, accommodate load growth and generation expansion on the three Black Hills Energy transmission systems using transmission planning software including but not limited to PSS/E, Power World or PSLF.
SALARY RANGE: (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
- Level II: $80,550 - $120,800
- Senior: $90,250 - $148,750
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager of Transmission Planning
LOCATION: Our Corporate Headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota
- A comprehensive relocation package is offered for this position! Details about this package will be shared during the interview and offer process.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Independently select and apply standard engineering practices and techniques, applying prescribed methods in carrying out a sequence of engineering tasks of increasing complexity. Provide intermediate engineering support for internal company customer representatives. Speak to study results and participate in discussions with customers as assigned by the Transmission Planning Supervisor.
- Under moderate supervision, provide intermediate-level engineering support to the company’s electric utilities. Write scopes of work, create base cases and perform assigned aspects of computer-based load flow and short circuit studies required to evaluate the electric transmission system. Perform initial evaluation of system performance and recommend engineering solutions to Senior or Principal Transmission Planner for review to address system risks, reliability and load growth over a one, five and ten-year planning horizon.
- Perform studies and act as a subject matter expert to support full compliance with FERC, NERC and WECC Reliability Standard Requirements. Ensure compliance with federal, state, NERC and FERC regulations. Perform technical writing for review in support of study efforts.
- Actively contribute to department/project work by demonstrating project management skills through leadership of projects as assigned. Support the Project Origination process by providing initial recommendations to assist in the creation of the capital project portfolio.
- Provide support to various business initiatives through active participation in internal ad-hoc groups as assigned.
- Perform and provide the initial evaluation of studies associated with the interconnection of new load, generation or transmission facilities
- Participate in the regional transmission planning process by attending meetings and providing case updates as part of FERC Order 1000 compliance obligations. Assist in the development of technical materials used by internal legal and regulatory groups as part of regulatory proceedings before state commissions or the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Develop external contacts with regional planning partners through participation in national, regional and local committees, task forces and working groups as assigned.
- Draw from experience to anticipate a range of problems and develop solutions and implement actions. Adapt and contribute to department plans and priorities to address business and operational challenges. Support and lead the implementation of process improvements. Supply innovative work ideas to implement process improvements and present them to Transmission Planning and/or Transmission and Engineering Services leadership.
- Prioritize workflow, establish schedule, monitor accomplishments and provide project management and administrative support for assigned work. Support safety, diversity and social responsibility goals of the department and company. Provide mentorship and training to lesser experienced planning engineers
- Participate in formal training programs for the improvement of job knowledge and technical skills when made available. Attend industry training to maintain proficiency in areas of responsibility in order to develop sound recommendations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of (1) one year of electric utility or electrical consultant experience along with Aspen and PSSE software knowledge in steady state simulations and/or Python coding required.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering required.
- Minimum of (4) four years of electric utility or electrical consultant experience along with Aspen and PSSE software knowledge in steady state simulations and/or Python coding required.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering required.
- Understanding of electrical circuits, drawings and engineering analysis.
- Basic understanding of NERC, FERC and tariff requirements.
- Ability to work independently as well as in multi-functional teams.
- Detail-oriented with a focus on documentation and organization.
- Self-motivated with ability to drive projects to completion.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with staff at all levels within the organization. Be able to convey technical information to non-technical personnel.
- Strong digital literacy, including proficiency in PSS/E and Power World (or similar modeling software) and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to learn and maintain proficiency with use, programming, and automation of new systems and software as technology evolves.
- Intermediate project management skills, and ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks in a timely manner with supervision and accurately record time spent on projects.
- Proficiency in reading electrical one-lines, control drawings and schematics.
- Learn and apply intermediate level concepts, practices and procedures of electrical engineering.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual discretionary bonuses, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off benefits, including paid holidays and parental leave, company paid life insurance and disability benefits (short and long term), an employee assistance program and well-being benefits, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran. If you require reasonable accommodation, please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com for more information.
Wage: 80550 to 120800