This meaningful role is responsible for the timely and accurate recording, analysis, and reporting of financial information in the corporate accounting / general ledger area. Review and/or prepare accounting records including journal entries, account reconciliations, accounting memos, financial statement variance analysis, and other accounting analysis as needed. Responsible for identifying, implementing, and documenting procedures and strategies to facilitate overall efficiencies.
SALARY RANGE: $78,200 - $117,300 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Corporate Accounting Manager
LOCATION: Our Company Headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Must have excellent communication and organizational skills, as this position requires the individual to manage multiple priorities.
- Perform assigned duties in a professional manner to facilitate the objectives and goals of the company and to enhance the image and credibility of the accounting department.
- Develop and maintain accounting policies and procedures for the corporate accounting team, ensuring compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley while driving overall efficiencies.
- Prepare and/or review reconciliations of general ledger accounts. Follow up on discrepancies and implement procedures to ensure adequate resolution.
- Prepare and distribute accounting reports and ensure that information is accurate and presented in a useful and understandable format.
- Respond to accounting information requests in a timely manner.
- Review and/or prepare financial statement analysis, interpret the results, document, and communicate as necessary.
- Identify areas for increasing efficiency and effectiveness; implement and document those changes while maintaining effective internal controls and accurate financial information.
- Obtain and maintain a strong understanding of the general ledger accounting system as well as the financial reporting tools, and systems that interface with the general ledger.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of accounting rules and regulations including GAAP, FERC, State Regulations, and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of (5) five years of accounting/financial experience required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- A thorough knowledge of financial statements, GAAP, business concepts, accounting methods and procedures is required.
- A solid understanding of internal controls over financial reporting is required.
- Ability to learn or proficiency of FERC accounting, utility operations and a basic understanding of regulatory/ratemaking processes.
- Strong computer and analytical skills, as well as advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel to create and support complex spreadsheets and financial models is required. Ability to learn or have proficiency with automated accounting systems.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize, delegate and complete multiple projects in a timely manner.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage tasks effectively in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and the ability to make judgmental decisions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to drive effective decisions through use of GAAP, FERC and other accounting research as well as perform accounting duties of an above average difficulty.
- Goal oriented, with ability to work effectively in a team environment to meet established deadlines, and be able to maintain strict confidentiality of business information
- Strong oral and written skills, and the ability to communicate difficult accounting topics to individuals at various levels.
- Ability to apply strong attention to detail while understanding and considering the big picture.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual discretionary bonuses, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off benefits, including paid holidays and parental leave, company paid life insurance and disability benefits (short and long term), an employee assistance program and well-being benefits, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran. If you require reasonable accommodation, please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com for more information.
Wage: 80550 to 120800