The Data Science Manager is a key member of the Enterprise Data & Analytics team, accomplishing business objectives by identifying and providing insight into business challenges through the use of data. This critical role will be accountable for both data science strategy and project-based solutions, focusing on the organization’s most critical areas. This is a role that will be responsible for helping to further a data science strategy, identifying data science project opportunities, recommending, and managing the data science project portfolio, and managing the data science team. Additionally, the position will be responsible for supporting analytic best practices and designing and leading the development and implementation of creative analytic solutions.
SALARY RANGE: $98,200 - $162,000 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Director, Enterprise Data & Analytics
LOCATION: This position may be located at our corporate headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota.
- A comprehensive relocation package is offered for this position! Details about this package will be shared during the interview and offer process.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Lead the Data Science team and cultivate a dynamic team environment of data curiosity, innovation, and partnership. Help team members develop technical competencies as well as the business acumen to partner effectively.
- Lead the organization through high-quality data-driven business analytics and strategies that address business challenges and align with organizational goals in order to drive impact and return on investment. Connect the right analytical solution to business problems and translate complex analytics outcomes into insights that drive operational decision-making.
- Bring value to the organization by performing exploratory data mining and making sense of complex and disparate data sources. Apply data science knowledge to deliver new insights and identify opportunities.
- Lead the research and implementation of best practices for data science pipeline management, data science technology, and the deployment of emerging algorithms and methodologies.
- Develop and drive the implementation of the strategic data science roadmap including identifying high value opportunities, project selection and prioritization, portfolio management, data transformation and management, and technology enhancements.
- Cultivate organizational analytics skills and build the analytics pipeline. Design specific initiatives to increase level of analyst skillsets, build an analytics community, and drive a data-driven culture.
- Act as a data storyteller, translating complex analytical work into easily digestible analysis and actionable project recommendations.
- Serve as a data liaison, translating between business needs and technical data requirements.
- Create, maintain, and insist on a workplace environment that promotes diversity, safety, fair and equal treatment of employees, open communications, and the highest standards of ethical behavior.
- Minimum of (5) five years of experience in the field of analytics and data science required. Minimum of (3) three years of experience in a position responsible for project completion and/or program management in a related department or business required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field such as data science, operations research or statistics is required.
- Data modeling and analysis experience with advanced knowledge and experience with analytical techniques (regression machine learning, feature selection, dimension reduction, validation, statistics, etc.) data preparation (extracting, preparing, munging, validating), and building analytics pipelines.
- Must be able to understand and articulate data and technology challenges, limitations, and possibilities.
- Structured problem solving and the ability to partner with diverse stakeholders to solve complex problems and approach them with flexibility, diplomacy, and open-mindedness.
- Advanced knowledge of analytical concepts including machine learning, AI, statistics, reporting, and data warehouse design.
- Advanced knowledge of analytical programming languages (R, Python, SQL), data warehouse design, reporting best practices, and technology architecture design.
- Effective leader, ability to build, manage, and inspire a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent problem solver.
- Ability to gain credibility among peers and management leadership team.
- Curious and passionate about applying data to create business value.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual discretionary bonuses, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off benefits, including paid holidays and parental leave, company paid life insurance and disability benefits (short and long term), an employee assistance program and well-being benefits, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran. If you require reasonable accommodation, please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com for more information.
Wage: 98200 to 162000