Responsible for managing and coordinating Black Hills Energy’s wildfire risk mitigation initiatives as outlined in its Wildfire Mitigation Plan (WMP). The position will support and collaborate with internal and external partners to facilitate various cross-functional activities and efforts to meet Company wildfire mitigation objectives. The growing risk of wildfire across our electric services territories represents one of our top risks across the electric utilities and this position will influence key risk reduction opportunities across the enterprise.
SALARY RANGE: $86,550 - $129,900 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager, Asset Programs
LOCATION: Our Corporate Headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota
- A comprehensive relocation package is offered for this position! Details about this package will be shared during the interview and offer process.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Engage stakeholders and workgroups responsible for wildfire initiatives and related tactical plans to track and ensure timely completion, update status, and monitor performance.
- Work with internal and external partners to update and maintain BHE’s wildfire risk assessments including geospatial Hazardous Fire Areas (HFAs), Wildlife Interaction Risk Assessments, Circuit Prioritization (Distribution and Transmission). This includes finding opportunities to apply the risk assessments to various electric operations and wildfire mitigation initiatives in support of a risk-based approach to mitigation activities.
- Represent BHE in community, industry, and regulatory forums to educate and build partnerships around wildfire safety and related activities (e.g., Fire Safe Councils, wildland management agency meetings, wildfire conferences, etc.).
- Interact with Regulatory, Legal, and Governmental Affairs Departments to advise on applicable wildfire prevention legislation, legal requirements, and any pending litigation or claims.
- Support emergency response of a fire to investigate and detail evidence and/or retain and coordinate with wildfire investigation experts to determine ignition root cause and whether it was caused by Company electric facilities or field activities.
- Track, review, and assign company-caused ignitions and near ignitions to the appropriate mitigation owner to mitigate and minimize future ignitions, inform programs and budgets, and provide data for business decision support.
- Lead and handle the development and documentation of standard processes for Wildfire Risk Mitigation representing the #1 risk to our electric utilities requiring enterprise-wide influence and leadership.
- Support electric operations, engineering departmental personnel and Asset Programs workgroups to meet key business objectives.
- Support safety, diversity and social responsibility goals of the department, business unit and corporation.
- Minimum of (5) five years of relevant experience including wildfire science, forestry, electrical engineering or wildfire suppression/emergency response required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or other relevant area, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Solid understanding of wildfire behavior and utility risks associated with wildfire.
- Working knowledge of National Electrical Code and National Electrical Safety Code.
- Solid understanding of utility electrical system design philosophy and equipment operation.
- Knowledge and experience of fire and/or accident investigation principles/procedures.
- Ability to lead and work within cross-functional teams.
- Ability to influence others and support change management activities.
- Strong technical writing and communication skills.
- Ability to travel throughout electric utility service territories as well as to industry conferences and events.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual discretionary bonuses, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off benefits, including paid holidays and parental leave, company paid life insurance and disability benefits (short and long term), an employee assistance program and well-being benefits, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran. If you require reasonable accommodation, please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com for more information.
Wage: 86550 to 129900