Provide overall leadership and direction for the Standards team responsible for applying engineering principles and technical knowledge to perform evaluation and recommendations of new products, technologies and field construction drawings across the electric utilities. Provide overall leadership and direction for the electric utility Engineering Technicians responsible for preparing and maintaining design drawings and files in AutoCAD or similar electronic formats.
SALARY RANGE: $90,250 - $148,750 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager of Substation Engineering
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
- A comprehensive relocation package is offered for this position! Details about this package will be shared during the interview and offer process.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manage and supervise the daily workflow of the Engineering Technicians and assignment of their tasks, including detailed construction and as-built drawings for substation layouts, transmission and distribution lines, control systems, equipment upgrades and other electric utility related facilities.
- Manage and maintain online file systems for all design drawings to ensure accurate and timely data is available to engineering and operational personnel.
- Lead and manage the overall coordinated requirements to ensure standardization of construction practices, materials, and procedures across the electric utilities.
- Research, analyze, and support uniform and best practices of engineering standards. Update, maintain, and communicate engineering design and construction standards across the electric utilities.
- Support the development, design, and maintenance of electrical distribution, transmission and substation standards in both hard and electronic formats.
- Provide day to day technical support and problem solving to purchasing and operations personnel, advise on standards, electrical safety, and provide research on a wide variety of electrical technical topics.
- Perform cost and benefit analysis of new materials and new construction standards. Partner with internal stakeholders to ensure changes and updates are agreed upon before a final decision is made.
- Maintain effective working relationships with all employees within the Transmission & Engineering Services department and with all Black Hills Corporation employees.
- Set priorities and schedules for personnel within the department.
- Lead, coordinate, and attend quarterly standards committee meetings with each electric utility.
- Provide detail, information, and explanation to the Engineering Technicians to create or revise standard drawings and work with Engineering, Operations, and Planning to update standards.
- Requires limited travel within the utility service territory.
- Minimum of (3) three years of electric system operations, power line construction, project management, engineering or other relevant experience required.
- Associates degree in Engineering, GIS, or other related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Good working knowledge of electric utility transmission, distribution facilities, equipment operation, and design philosophies.
- Good working knowledge of utility distribution and transmission line construction.
- Good working knowledge of the NESC, IEEE, and ANSI standards.
- Skilled and current with the use of AutoCAD and Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and priorities simultaneously and maintain control of assignments.
- Ability to lead a team, take direction from manager, keep required job schedules, focus attention on details, and follow work rules.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills. Strong organizational and time management skills. Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; ability to prepare and give presentations and trainings to diverse audiences.
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks in a timely manner with minimal supervision.
- Ability to think and act independently and develop creative, analytical solutions to resolve complex problems.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual discretionary bonuses, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off benefits, including paid holidays and parental leave, company paid life insurance and disability benefits (short and long term), an employee assistance program and well-being benefits, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran. If you require reasonable accommodation, please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com for more information.
Wage: 90250 to 148750