In this role you will analyze transmission expansions needed to address energy market inefficiencies, improve reliability, accommodate load growth and generation expansion on the three Black Hills Energy transmission systems using production cost modeling tools, and planning software including, but not limited to, GridView, PROMOD, Plexos, as well as PSS/E or PSLF.
SALARY RANGE $98,200 - $162,000 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager, Transmission Planning
LOCATION: Our Corporate Headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota.
- A comprehensive relocation package is offered for this position! Details about this package will be shared during the interview and offer process.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Analyze and assess the transmission system for congestion; to ensure operational reliability, adequacy, efficiency, and security, and the long-term needs of the company.
- Develop an understanding of the Western Interconnection energy sectors, and transmission system and generation fleet and its response under contingent conditions, perform security constrained economic dispatch modeling analysis to identify economic opportunities to be addressed through transmission and/or generation solutions.
- Summarize study findings in written reports and presentations at the end of planning cycles. Collaborate with transmission planning engineers to identify and scope projects for potential studies and develop best cost facility addition plans in coordination with the transmission engineering staff.
- Develop and design power system models representing transmission facilities, generation, loads, contingencies, and other power system components. Formulate analytical techniques and study procedures.
- Create presentations and present key analytical results and economic transmission planning updates.
- Coordinate with Resource Planning to identify transmission system needs to be incorporated into the resource planning process. Perform analysis to support long range resource plans and assist in identifying the location, timing, and technology mix of the Company’s future resource needs.
- Represent the company at WECC and WestConnect. Participate in regional economic planning subcommittees and study efforts
- Represent the company within external organizations dealing with transmission planning and modeling issues. Attend industry and utility working groups and technical conferences on a local, statewide, regional, and national level. Advocate for company business interests at advisory groups, and utility work groups.
- Evaluate existing and proposed industry planning standards and provide technical assistance to working groups as well as monitor and coordinate regional transmission planning studies.
- Provide technical assistance and/or direction to other engineers, analysts, technicians and contractors.
- Provide functional back up and support for Wholesale Transmission Policy Manager.
- Minimum of (5) five years of experience in electric economic transmission planning with proven project management capabilities is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or other relevant quantitative field required or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Experience performing economic transmission planning within an RTO/ISO
- Knowledge of wholesale electric energy and transmission transactions. Understanding of wholesale electricity markets including, RTOs/ISOs, and energy imbalance markets.
- Working knowledge of FERC, NERC, WECC and other regulatory requirements for wholesale electric energy and transmission transactions.
- Must be a team player with demonstrated interpersonal skill that works effectively with all company employees, customers and external contacts including; regulators, regulatory staff and employees of other utilities.
- Ability to establish and work effectively with internal departments such as Resource Planning, Regulatory, Legal, Electric Operations, Customer Service, Compliance Generation Dispatch and Power Marketing and other applicable groups.
- Strong organizational skills with high attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer relation skills.
- Ability to thrive in an environment of continuous change.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual discretionary bonuses, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off benefits, including paid holidays and parental leave, company paid life insurance and disability benefits (short and long term), an employee assistance program and well-being benefits, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran. If you require reasonable accommodation, please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com for more information.
Wage: 98200 to 162000