The Safety Professional will coordinate, implement and direct overall safety support services. Responsibilities include procedure/program development, training, hazard identification inspections, program auditing, accident prevention and regulatory compliance. Provide the technical resources to successfully implement, maintain, and improve a comprehensive best in class safety and health program.
SALARY RANGE: $78,200 - $117,300 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Safety Manager
LOCATION: Lincoln, Nebraska
- A comprehensive relocation package is offered for this position! Details about this package will be shared during the interview and offer process.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Establish and maintain a safety presence by attending safety meetings, O&M meetings, conducting new hire safety orientations, mandated safety training and performing walk around inspections of all complex areas. Assist in the development of safety flashes.
- Assist in compliance with government and industry standards by observing safety regulations and counseling management of regulation changes and working with others to integrate into business and operational policies and procedures.
- Provide guidance and technical advice to managers, supervisors and field personnel tailored to safety needs, initiatives, programs and regulations.
- Support recordkeeping/tracking system to track training, compliance needs, time critical requirements, accidents, maintenance of OSHA logs and regulatory reporting/accident posting in a manner that ensures regulatory compliance and supports the needs of the business units.
- Support site safety contracts to ensure effective procurement and maintenance of all safety equipment, systems and services.
- Lead and assist managers and local safety committees in accident/incident investigations, scene control, evidence gathering/preservation, and written reports.
- Assist in the development of safety flashes, bulletins, and similar awareness/notification items locally and in support of the corporate safety communications plan.
- Raise/maintain front-line employee awareness and involvement in local safety issues via close interaction with local committees and safety chairs.
- Provide tools for managing the safety effort, indicators of program success and industry benchmark comparisons. Provide monthly summaries and annual reports.
- Be visible in the field and ensure visibility across all assigned areas of responsibility. Maintain open, effective communication channels with all employees that promotes employee confidence and accessibility and provides for a positive, professional relationship.
- Guide, teach, and counsel supervisors, superintendents and managers on safety requirements and appropriate protective measures to prevent accidents in current work activities.
- Establish regular schedule for communicating with managers for general discussion of any issues they may have or areas they may need support in. Keep management and supervisors up-to-date of project status and key events.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience implementing safety policies, developing procedures and training programs, and leading safety audits/inspections and incident investigations is required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Knowledge of natural gas utility business will be imperative in the support of this role.
- Extensive knowledge of OSHA 1910 & 1926 standards and their application to a broad variety of operations and environments.
- Knowledge of workers compensation/disability programs and associated procedures is preferred.
- Capacity to develop, implement and deliver safety training topics.
- Ability to interpret government regulations, develop and implement compliance directives.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate appropriate safety messages effectively at all levels within the corporation.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point. MS-Access proficiency desirable as well).
- Ability to make decisions in a focused and well-organized manner to prioritize in a multi-task environment with limited supervision.
- Available to provide safety support/services at varying schedules, often on short or emergency notice, to 24/7/365 operations.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual discretionary bonuses, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off benefits, including paid holidays and parental leave, company paid life insurance and disability benefits (short and long term), an employee assistance program and well-being benefits, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran. If you require reasonable accommodation, please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com for more information.
Wage: 78200 to 117300