Perform duties in the meter shop and at field meter installations associated with all types of meters, totalizing meters and associated metering equipment. Ensure all meter installations are in accordance with company Metering Standards and work practices.
WAGE RANGE: $44.64 per hour (Determined by current Collective Bargaining Agreement)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Meter Services Manager
LOCATION: Rapid City, South Dakota
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Build and install primary voltage metering applications.
- Test, maintain, adjust and make repairs to transformer rated type meters, panel meter applications, associated equipment and indicating demand meters.
- Install and maintain meter telemetry and modems for remote meter reading and customer load management applications. This includes the ability to climb poles to perform such work.
- Clean and test meters (both as found and as left) for optimum accuracy and functionality.
- Maintain meter installation records and verifications of associated company identification numbers in the meter tracking (CIS) system.
- Retire obsolete and faulty meters from meter tracking (CIS) system.
- Install all instrument meter applications involving secondary current transformer installations and wiring.
- Install all secondary transformer metering connections, both overhead and underground.
- Install recording meters for customer load verification.
- Develop and program meters with software for marketing and rate departments programs for various rates, load profile data, KVA, power factor, harmonic content and current and voltage history.
- Provide information and support for all meters installed in substations, power plants and inter-tie points.
- Provide all metering history and information to customer account reps and managers.
- Work with construction reps to ensure construction projects are in alignment with electric meter standards. Provide technical support as needed.
- Schedule with construction reps and install all instrument meter jobs throughout the Black Hills Energy South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana service territory.
- Work extensively with construction reps to review work orders and specifications to determine settings, meter installation costs, customer supplied equipment approval, and electrical sizing of all associated metering components.
- Install “check meters” on customer sites and test customer meters to assist in resolution of customer complaints.
- Provide details on all meter changes and test results for compliance with meter specifications and look for trends in meter malfunctions or accuracy issues.
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair gatekeepers, repeaters, modems and all forms of communication devices associated with Advanced Metering Infrastructure.
- Provide onsite support for line and service crews and construction reps.
- Order, provide and maintain a continuous stock of various types of meters for all BHC.
- Obtain continuous knowledge of new technologies through schools, seminars and interaction with vendors on metering advances and testing procedures.
- Maintain stocks of current and voltage transformer used in instrument metering for all of BHC.
- Perform current and voltage transformer calculations to determine the size of equipment to be used on customer installations.
- Perform pulse and/or interval data calculations used by system control, customer’s load management systems or given to designated third parties such as energy suppliers.
- Test new CT/PTs for BHC to ensure accuracy. Recertify used CT/PT for reuse.
- Perform calculations used in internal meter multipliers applied to meter software for optimum meter resolution.
- Perform and understand results of onsite meter installation analysis to determine the integrity of both new and old installations. These include Watts, VARS, KVA, Power Factor Multiplier X, meter timing and harmonics.
- Set up and maintain software programs used by BHP on its metering and measurement devices.
- Calibrate and test Electric Meter Test Boards to meet PUC requirements.
- Ensure all field test equipment is calibrated according to manufacturer specifications.
- Actively participate on Electric Meter Standards for BHC and work practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Completion of post-secondary Advanced Electrical Technical training from a Qualified Technical Institute required, or equivalent experience.
- Four years on the job (O.J.T.) training in a utility apprenticeship meter progression program or equivalent required.
- 2 years of experience as a utility journeyman meterman or contract meter installer/tester preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of electrical theory and calculations.
- Advanced knowledge of metering equipment and installations.
- Knowledge of all aspects of safe work practices associated with PPE, various voltage levels, current transformer and arc flash protection.
- Knowledge of BHC metering standards.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL DESCRIPTIONS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical descriptions are representative of the activities an employee in a field job performs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental description: Understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee continuously moves about the office and the job sites and operates machines and equipment. Employee frequently accesses low and high areas with additional equipment, ascends/descends stairs, maintains coordination, and engages in repetitive motions (kneeling, reaching). Employee may occasionally use a respirator. Employee operates job related equipment and tools. Employee routinely performs this work for an average of 8-10 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Regular, reliable, and timely attendance is expected.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 25 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Work environment: Occasionally perform work indoors and routinely perform work outdoors in sometimes inclement weather with moderate to high noise level. Worker may be subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working in places of height or close quarters (i.e., crawl spaces, small, enclosed rooms, narrow aisles of passageways). Willing to travel occasionally (less than 10 days per year) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Must have proper licensing to operate a motor vehicle.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid parental leave, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.